environment and carbon reduction
February 15, 2006
- The programme was conceived to respond to concerns that the implementation of traffic management measures might have an environmental impact. However, very little information was known about whether it would be positive or negative, and this initital report highlights the way forward for those wishing to explore the matter further. more >
February 13, 2006
- A report commissioned by environmental think-tank Green Alliance recommends a radical overhaul of the tax system, proposing inefficiency charges on products that waste energy and water and new fiscal incentives to reward consumers for making greener choices. more >
February 3, 2006
- Environment Minister Elliot Morley has confirmed over £2 million pounds worth of funding to support projects looking at sustainable living. Over 35 projects from voluntary groups across England are set to benefit from continued funding from Defra’s Environmental Action Fund. more >
February 2, 2006
- A new consultation that aims to provide the Government with a framework to guide future progress in the construction industry is being launched by Alun Michael, Minister of State for Industry and the Regions. more >
A description of a long-term construction project to build homes for 15,000 people in 6,000 units on the Kronsberg hill, south-east of Hannover, adjacent to the site of EXPO 2000, with the aim that it should be an exemplary project in its approaches to urban and social planning and environmental measures, and thus itself a world exposition exhibit. Salient features are urban and landscape planning, ecology and technology, infrastructures and the social habitat under an umbrella of co-operative project development.
Daily water demand in the Dubai is expected to reach 341 million gallons per day by 2011, while daily electricity needs will reach 8,513 megawatts. This is an increase of more than 100 per cent from 2005 numbers – but where will it end?
October 3, 2005
- One of the current hot topics in the business world was explored at a recent environmental conference and exhibition in the UK's South West - an event that also celebrated the success of the guide Resource Efficiency & Corporate Responsibility - Managing Change, a by-product of earlier initiatives. more >
August 10, 2005
- The Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) has called on the UK Government to rethink plans for huge housing expansion in the Southeast of England, particularly in view of current pressure on water supplies in the region slated for most of the 'sustainable' development, according to a recent policy statement. more >
Published by Architectural Press, 2004
Review by Judith Ryser
Sue Roaf, David Crichton and Fergus Nicol, Architectural Press, 2005
For those who take the threat of climate change seriously, Adapting Buildings and Cities for Climate Change is a must. The book compounds the expertise of a designer, an insurance practitioner and a researcher into building technologies, a background of climate change and how it has already affected ecological building practices.
For members RUDI is a not-for-profit membership resource. For full access, subscribe here
Latest jobs on UrbanDesignJobs.com
£40,620 to £43,380
Principal Urban Design Officer (Fixed Term Contract 2 years)PO5 - £40,620 to £43,380Regeneration,... more>