May 27, 2012
- A new TCPA paper, Heathrow Garden City, proposes a re-invention of the pioneering Garden City concept on the Heathrow airport site. Authored by Graeme Bell, this audacious paper argues that Heathrow occupies a strategic situation in the outer London suburbs adjoining the Green Belt and is ideally situated for such a proposal, which could provide homes for up to 30,000 people. more >
October 5, 2010
- Paradigm Housing hopes to collect a fourth award for its eco-community in Hayes. The scheme meets the stringent Level 5 Code for Sustainable Homes. It has sedum growing on the curved roof of each of its five low-level apartment blocks, solar panels provide extra electricity and rainwater is reused to flush the toilets. more >
July 29, 2010
- Councils and developers could be given much more flexibility to meet ambitious eco-standards to ensure all new homes are zero carbon from 2016, Housing Minister Grant Shapps has said.
It comes as part of the Coalition Government's ambition for an eco-friendly economy and to become the greenest government ever. more >
July 12, 2010
- Funding for the first four of Gordon Brown's eco-towns has been slashed by 50 per cent, while plans for a further six developments have also been dropped.
News of the funding cuts was broken to the local authorities overseeing the four eco-towns in an email from housing minister Grant Shapps last week. more >
June 21, 2010
- Six One Earth Homes, located on the Upton development (large scale, multi-developer site), three miles outside of Northampton town centre, have been certified, as the UK's first, open-market, Code Level 6 homes.
Read the latest Code for Sustainable Homes case studies from CLG, March 2010... more >
April 6, 2010
- Housing and Planning Minister John Healey has confirmed that a partnership of councils in Essex have expressed an interest using world-leading eco-town standards. The funding will also go towards studies in how to improve existing transport links, including options such as rapid routes for buses with real-time travel information, green travel hubs and facilities for electric cars and bikes. ... more >
March 24, 2010
- The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has approved plans for a major regeneration project, which will create a new town centre at Brent Cross in Cricklewood, north London.
The proposals from the Brent Cross Cricklewood development partners, Brookfield Europe (formerly Multiplex), Hammerson and Standard Life Investments, also include a commitment to environmental sustainability. more >
March 9, 2010
- Housing and Planning Minister John Healey has announced a triple boost for councils tackling climate change by updating planning rules, granting nearly £10million to improve green skills and backing further progress by the 'second wave' of eco-towns. more >
February 25, 2010
- Sir Bob Kerslake, chief executive of the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), has welcomed the recent joint CLG/DEFRA announcement that 36 rural councils are to be supported with £1m of cash and expert support to help them design and plan thousands of new homes. more >
January 31, 2010
- The Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) has published new guidance, sponsored by Government, entitled Developing energy efficient and zero carbon strategies for eco-towns. more >
For members RUDI is a not-for-profit membership resource. For full access, subscribe here
Latest jobs on UrbanDesignJobs.com
£40,620 to £43,380
Principal Urban Design Officer (Fixed Term Contract 2 years)PO5 - £40,620 to £43,380Regeneration,... more>